What is an ITIN?
ITIN (Individual Tax Identification Number) is a tax ID number issued by the IRS to individuals who are required to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but who do not have and are not eligible to get a Social Security number (SSN). ITIN allows non-U.S. citizens to file taxes and open a bank account without an SSN.
ITIN is issued regardless of immigration status because both residents and non-resident aliens may have a U.S. filing or tax reporting requirements.
What You Can I with an ITIN?
You can use an ITIN to:
- File tax return and pay taxes
- Open a U.S. bank account (both personal and business) (ITIN is mandatory for opening a U.S. bank account if you don’t have an SSN)
- Open online accounts (like PayPal, Stripe, Amazon)
- Comply with U.S. federal tax withholding requirements on earned income (such as royalties, dividends, rental income)
- Provide it to your employer to help get a job
- Apply for mortgage loan
- Apply for apartment rental
- Finance a car
- Apply to get a credit card, and much more…
What is ITIN not used for?
ITIN does not:
- Authorize work in the US
- Change your immigration status
- Provide eligibility for Social Security benefits
Can I apply for an ITIN if I have an SSN?
No, you’re not legally allowed to apply for an ITIN if you have an SSN or are currently applying for an SSN.
If you have an ITIN and then finally get an SSN as well, you must contact the IRS to update them in regards to your SSN and let them know to remove your ITIN from your name.
Do I need an ITIN?
If you do not have a Social Security Number (SSN), and you have a tax document (such as a tax return), employer, or withholding agent (e.g Bank, Corporation, Amazon, YouTube, Property Management company, etc) that requires you to provide an ITIN, then you must get an ITIN.
When can I apply for my ITIN?
You can apply for an ITIN any time during the year.
What Documents Do I Need to Submit to Get an ITIN?
The documents you need to apply for an ITIN are:
1) Identification Documentation such as valid passport
If you don’t have a valid passport, then you can provide the following from the List of Alternate Identification Documents:
- United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Photo Identification X X
- Visa issued by U.S. Department of State
- United States Driver’s License
- United States Military Identification Card
- Foreign Driver’s License
- Foreign Military Identification Card
- National Identification Card (must be current, and contain name, photograph, address, date of birth and expiration date)
- United States State Identification Card
- Foreign Voter’s Registration Card
- Civil Birth Certificate (Required if under age 18 unless a passport is presented)
- Medical Records (valid only for dependents under age 6)
- School Records (valid only for dependents under age 18)
2) Supporting Documentation – based on the reason why you’re applying for an ITIN, I will instruct you further on how to obtain this after you sign up and I review your file.
How Do I Know if I Qualify to Apply for an ITIN?
To find if you qualify for an ITIN, fill out our online ITIN Qualification Application here: https://einexpress.com/qualify. After you fill it out, you will receive a response back within the same day letting you know whether you qualify for an ITIN.
How Long is an ITIN Valid For?
You must use your ITIN on at least one IRS 1040 US Federal Income Tax Return Form within a 3 year period or it will expire. If your ITIN expires, then your ITIN will no longer be valid under your name and will be open to being reissued to other applicants who qualify and applied for one.
How Long Does it Take to Get my ITIN?
ITIN processing time varies based on the time of the year. Outside of tax season, once we file your ITIN application with the IRS, it typically takes the IRS 3 to 4 weeks to assign your ITIN. During tax season, it can take longer due to increased demand for ITIN as the IRS takes an average of 5 to 6 weeks to assign your ITIN.
How Do I Retrieve my ITIN if I Lost it?
If you have lost your ITIN documentation and want to request new documentation to be sent to you, you should call the IRS Lost ITIN Hotline at 1-800-908-9982 to retrieve your ITIN.
How Do I Check to see if ITIN is Valid?
You can call the IRS ITIN hotline at 1-800-908-9982 to retrieve your lost ITIN or to see if your ITIN is still valid.
What is IRS 1040 Federal Income Tax Return?
IRS 1040 Federal Tax Return is used to report any type of income you earned in the US during the previous tax year or current tax year. This does not matter if the income was paid to you by cash, check, or direct deposit.
Who Can Use a Tax Return if Applying for an ITIN?
Any of the following people can use a tax return when applying for an ITIN:
- Any Non-US citizen who earned any income based in the US
- Non-US Citizen claimed as spouse or dependent on a US Citizen/Resident Alien’s Income Tax Return Form
- Non-US Citizen claimed as spouse or dependent on a Income Tax Return Form of a Non-Resident Alien holding a US Visa.
- Non-Resident Alien student, professor, or researcher needing to file a tax return to report their income and required to get an ITIN to claim a tax treaty benefit.
Can I Only Apply for an ITIN with a Tax Return?
Normally, an ITIN application is accompanied by a federal income tax return form. However, if you did not earn any income in the US, or are not being claimed as a dependent or spouse on someone else’s tax return, therefore you must qualify for one of the five ITIN Exception categories then in order to apply for an ITIN.
To find out if you qualify for one of the five ITIN Exception Categories, fill out this Qualification Application: https://einexpress.com/qualify
Which ITIN’s will Expire?
ITINs not used in the last 3 consecutive tax years. If your ITIN wasn’t included on a U.S. federal tax return at least once for tax years 2015, 2016, or 2017, your ITIN will expire on December 31, 2018. You need to take action to renew it if it’ll be included on a U.S. federal tax return.
ITINs with the middle digits “73,” “74,” “75,” “76,” “77,” “81,” and “82” will expire. If your ITIN’s middle digits (the fourth and fifth positions) are “73,” “74,” “75,” “76,” “77,” “81,” or “82,” your ITIN will remain in effect until December 31, 2018. You need to take action to renew it if it’ll be included on a U.S. federal tax return filed in 2019
ITINs with the middle digits “70,” “71,” “72,” “78,” “79,” and “80” have expired. If your ITIN’s middle digits (the fourth and fifth positions) are “70,” “71,” “72,” “78,” “79,” or “80,” your ITIN is expired, unless you already submitted a renewal application and it was approved. You need to take action to renew it if it’ll be included on a U.S. federal tax return.
What Should I do If I’m Notified that My ITIN will Expire?
If you receive notice that you, your spouse, or your dependent’s ITIN is scheduled to expire and you will be filing a tax return or claim for refund in 2019, you should begin the renewal process as soon as possible.
When Can I Renew my ITIN?
Taxpayers whose ITIN’s are scheduled expire may renew their ITIN immediately. You don’t have to wait for the IRS to send a notice of expiration, if you have not used your ITIN in three years or middle digits on your ITIN have been identified for expiration by the IRS.
How Do I Renew My ITIN?
To renew an expiring ITIN, complete the ITIN Renewal Application by click on the link below: www.einexpress.com/itin-renewal
Once I receive your application, I will email or call you to request your valid supporting and identification documents and any other requested attachments.
Is a Tax Return Required for an ITIN Renewal Application?
No, a tax return is not required for a ITIN renewal application. However, if you would like to file your upcoming tax return for 2019 and renew your ITIN, then a tax return can be attached to your ITIN renewal application.
How Long Does it Take to Renew my ITIN?
ITIN processing time varies based on the time of the year. Typically, once we receive your documents and file your application with the IRS, it takes on average about 4 weeks to get your ITIN renewed.
How Do I Apply for ITIN?
You will need to fill out the simple ITIN order form on our website: https://einexpress.com/itin-offer
Once you fill out the form, and your payment is confirmed, Sina will be in touch with you to begin working on your ITIN application together.
Can I apply for ITIN for my spouse or dependent outside of the US?
Yes, you can apply for ITIN for spouse or dependent even if they are outside the US.
Spouse is not considered a dependent for tax return purposes. Therefore, does not require a stamped date of entry on their passport to apply for their ITIN.
Dependents, who are from Canada or Mexico and are citizens of those countries, and also dependents of military member overseas, all do NOT require stamped date of entry on their valid passport to be claimed as a dependent for tax return purposes. Dependents who are not from Canada or Mexico, and not dependent on military members overseas WILL require a stamped date of entry into the US on their valid passports.