How to Get ITIN to Start a Business

Hey, today we’re going to be talking about do you need an ITIN first to start your U.S. Business?

Hey everyone, this is Sina Bonabi From EIN Express. I’m an IRS certified acceptance agent and I’m both trained and authorized by the IRS to help non-US citizens all over the world just like you to successfully get their EINs and ITINs for them. We know we’ve helped over 2,240 non-US citizens to get their EINs and ITINs and we’d love to help get yours too.

Today we’re going to be talking about a very popular topic, a very popular question, one that I’m excited to talk about because it’s a big misconception that happens a lot with foreign entrepreneurs.

The question is, “Do I need to have my ITIN first, to start my U.S. business?” And the answer to this question is no.

It’s the opposite. That’s the big misconception. I get that call or the email every single day, hundreds of them.

“Hey Sina, I want to get my ITIN, so I can start my U.S. business.” Well, ask them, “What’s stopping you from starting the U.S. business?” And they say, “Well, I need my ITIN.” But then I go in and I inform them, “Actually you have it backward, you can very much start your U.S. business, like registering an LLC or a corporation, and then also get an EIN as well too for that LLC or corporation.”

Apply for your ITIN here:


Is it Required to Have an ITIN First Before Starting a Business?

A lot of times foreign entrepreneurs think they have to have the ITIN first so that they can register an LLC or corporation.

I do like to put an asterisk on this. This applies to the majority of U.S. states. So if you’re trying to, let’s say, for example, register an LLC in the United States, the majority of the U.S. states, you can register an LLC without having the ITIN first.

There are a few exceptions to that, but this is a general answer.

Now, it also goes for corporations as well. That’s the big misconception. And then take it a step further.

Once you’ve registered and formed the business, you can use this to help get your EIN for the business as well. Now the EIN is also the tax I.D. for the business entity itself, not for the individual. I just want to get that part clarified too.

And then you can ultimately want to take it another step further, you can use your LLC and your EIN, in some cases, to help you qualify to apply to get your ITIN. As you can see, this question was asked from people is because they’re thinking about it backward, or if they’ve been misinformed either by online forums or articles, or other companies.


What To Do Next

They’ve been very misinformed so that they think you have to have your ITIN first before you can start your U.S. business when in actuality, it’s the other way around.

We offer LLC and corporation formation services, and we can always help you get that done as well as get your EIN and your ITIN too.

Hopefully, this response cleared up some doubt, or confusion, or whatever it is. I hope it was informative and helpful. If you have any questions or comments, go ahead and post them below.

And if you’re ready to get your business formed, like an LLC or a corporation, or if you’re ready to get your EIN or ITIN, go ahead and click the link below. Thank you.

Apply for your ITIN today:

Start Your Online Business Today

Join 4,680+ Entrepreneurs Who Have Successfully Started Their Online Business So You Can Work Anywhere In The World And Be Your Own Boss

Privacy Policy: We have no tolerance for spam.

Start Your Online Business Without Dealing With Complicated Legal Forms

Privacy Policy: We have no tolerance for spam.