The Basics Of Getting Your EIN

Starting a business can be a daunting task. There are so many things to do to get started, and it can be hard to know where to even begin. One of the most important steps is getting your Employer Identification Number (EIN). This article will walk you through the basics of getting your EIN.


Determine your business structure.


The first step in getting your EIN is determining your business structure. Are you a sole proprietor? A partnership? A corporation? The answer to this question will determine which forms you need to fill out to get your EIN.


If you are a sole proprietor, you will need to fill out Form SS-4. This form is used to apply for an EIN, which is your business’ tax identification number. The form is available on the IRS website and can be filled out online or downloaded and mailed in.


If you are a partnership, you will need to fill out Form 1065. This form is used to report income and expenses for your partnership. The form is available on the IRS website and can be filled out online or downloaded and mailed in.


If you are a corporation, you will need to fill out Form 1120. This form is used to report income and expenses for your corporation. The form is available on the IRS website and can be filled out online or downloaded and mailed in.


Once you have determined which form you need to fill out, you can begin the process of applying for your EIN. The process is relatively simple and can be done online or by mail.

Your EIN

Gather the necessary paperwork.


Once you know which forms you need to fill out, you can gather the necessary paperwork. For most business structures, you will need to complete Form SS-4, which is available on the IRS website. This form will provide you with your business’ tax identification number (TIN). When you have Form SS-4, you can also apply for state and local taxes, if necessary.


If you are starting a sole proprietorship, you will need to obtain a business license from your local city or county government. You may also need to file for a fictitious name registration if you are doing business under a name other than your own.


Once you have all of the necessary paperwork in order, you can begin to establish your business’ presence online. You will need to create a website and social media accounts. You should also consider setting up an email account that uses your business’ name. These steps will help you build credibility and reach potential customers.


Complete the forms.


Once you have gathered all of the necessary paperwork, you can begin completing the forms. Be sure to fill out all of the required information, such as your business name and address. If you are unsure about any of the questions, be sure to ask your accountant or lawyer for help. After you have completed all of the forms, you will need to submit them to the appropriate government office.


It can be helpful to hire a professional service to handle the paperwork and submission process for you. This will ensure that everything is done correctly and promptly. Once your application has been approved, you will be issued a business license. You should display this prominently in your place of business.


Now that you have your business license, you can start operating your business. Be sure to keep track of your finances and expenses so that you can stay on top of your taxes. You will also need to comply with any local regulations that apply to your business.

Your EIN

Submit the forms.


After you have completed the forms, you will need to submit them to the IRS. You can do this either by mail or online. If you are submitting the forms by mail, be sure to include a self-addressed, stamped envelope so that the IRS can return your EIN to you.

You can also find more information on the IRS website.


Once you have obtained your EIN, you will need to use it on all correspondence with the IRS. Be sure to keep your EIN in a safe place and do not share it with anyone who does not need it.


Wait for your EIN.


Once you have submitted your forms, you will need to wait for your EIN. The IRS will send you a notice within four weeks confirming your EIN. You will need to use this number on all future tax filings.

You can also find your EIN on the notice you receive from the IRS. This notice will be sent to the address where you provided your application. You can use your EIN to open a business bank account, apply for business licenses, and file your taxes.


It is important to keep your EIN confidential and not to give it out to anyone who does not need it. Only give your EIN to people or businesses that you trust, such as your accountant or bank. Be sure to keep your EIN safe and secure, just as you would with any other important business information.

Your EIN

Use your EIN.

Once you have received your EIN, you can begin using it for your business. You will need to use it when opening a bank account, filing taxes, and applying for licenses and permits. Be sure to keep your EIN in a safe place and make copies for your records.

If you need to obtain an EIN for your business, you can apply online, by fax, or by mail. The easiest and quickest way to apply is online. You can complete the application in just a few minutes and will receive your EIN immediately.


If you prefer to apply by fax or mail, you can request an application form from the IRS. Once you have completed the form, you will need to fax or mail it to the IRS. It can take up to four weeks to receive your EIN if you apply by fax or mail.


Keep your EIN safe.


You should keep your EIN in a safe place so that you can find it easily when you need it. Be sure to keep it in a place where it will not be lost or stolen.


You can find your EIN on various documents, including:


  • Your business tax return
  • A notice or letter from the IRS
  • Your business credit report

Your business loan application


If you can’t find your EIN, you can request a copy of your tax return from the IRS. You can also contact the IRS directly to request a new EIN.


In Summary:

It’s important to keep your EIN up to date and accurate. Be sure to update your EIN if your business structure changes, such as if you convert from a sole proprietorship to a partnership or LLC. You should also update your EIN if you move your business to a new location.

If you need to change your EIN for any reason, you can do so by filing a new application with the IRS. Be sure to include your current EIN on the application. You can also contact the IRS directly to request a change to your EIN.


If you’re looking for a top-notch law firm in Los Angeles, Mollaei Law is the way to go. They have a team of experienced and knowledgeable lawyers who can help you with your legal needs. I’ve used Mollaei Law for various legal matters, and they’ve always been able to provide me with the best possible service. I would recommend Mollaei Law to anyone in need of legal services.

Start Your Online Business Today

Join 4,680+ Entrepreneurs Who Have Successfully Started Their Online Business So You Can Work Anywhere In The World And Be Your Own Boss

Book A Call Now

Most Helpful Business Guides

I help entrepreneurs start their online business without dealing with complicated legal forms.

In 2013, I took the leap to start a virtual law firm so I could help entrepreneurs start their own business and work online on my laptop from anywhere in the world ( decision I've EVER made).

Since then, my team and I have assisted more than 4,680+ entrepreneurs start their business and our done-for-you service is backed by more than than 2,116 5.0 Star Google Reviews ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ from clients who love our quick and streamlined service.

Clients typically come to us when they're looking to start their business but don't know how to and don't want to deal with complicated legal forms.

Do any of these issues sound familiar to you?

If you're interested in starting your business, take the first step by clicking the "START MY BUSINESS" button on this page.

Sam Mollaei, Esq.

© 2024 Mollaei Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy and Terms
The information contained in this website contains general educational information only and should not be construed to be legal advice. You should not act or rely on any of the information contained herein without seeking professional legal advice. Accessing or using the information on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship. You are not entitled to rely upon information in this website in determining how to conduct your legal or business affairs. We act as business organizers only.
Sam Mollaei is a California-admitted attorney with offices in California. Any results described on this website are based upon the facts of that particular case and do not represent a promise, future prediction or guarantee.
Let us deal with the complicated legal forms so you can focus on starting your online business

We help entrepreneurs start their online business

Let us take care of the paperwork so you can make more money and spend more time doing what you love!


12,460+ Calls Booked By Entrepreneurs and 3,240+ 5 star Reviews